A little Lee-way: Sticking to your word

First of all, I’d like to wish everyone a Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a fun and enjoyable night with family and friends while watching fireworks paint the sky and eating tasty foods that painted your taste buds.

It’s out with the old, and in with the new, right?

That’s what the majority of people think when the new year comes around. It’s a chance for a new beginning, to start over and to become a new person that you always dreamed of being.

I don’t know about you, but every new year I tell myself that I’m going to undergo this huge transformation and be a new me.

Whether if it’s to have a healthier lifestyle by exercising more and eating healthier, or changing my personality by being more outgoing and friendly, I’ve made it a resolution.

I always set these New Year’s resolutions that were a little too ridiculous for my busy day-to-day life or too expensive for what I could afford.

For example, wake up early and go for a run through my neighborhood. In all honesty, I have no idea why I made that resolution because I hate waking up early and there is no way I’m disciplined enough to make myself go running when my body is half asleep.

Another one was to buy and eat all organic food. Um, I can’t even afford to buy regular food…organic food is sometimes double the price of regular grocery store food.

So when I didn’t stick to my New Year’s resolutions, I felt like a failure because I couldn’t achieve what I set out to do.

This year, all of that is going to change. I have figured out the secret to keeping New Year resolutions.

You may or may not ask how…either way, I’m going to tell you.

So here it is: make smaller, more reachable resolutions. That way, the goal isn’t too overwhelming to overcome.

So, I asked myself, “What is something that I am capable of changing to make myself feel better about my life?”

It could be something like, run for thirty minutes after school, instead of waking myself up early before school to run since I’m not a morning person.

Or, eating organic food for one meal, once a week, instead of only eating organic food 24/7 since I know I can’t afford that.

These New Year’s resolutions are a little more reachable for me than my last ones.

I won’t feel like a failure this year. I know that these goals can be reached!

If you had the same problem in sticking to your New Year’s resolutions, maybe you can join me and shoot for smaller resolutions. You can always take things up from there once you achieve the small goals.

I wish you luck in your journey of new resolutions and a wonderful year that brings forth self-discovery and enlightenment! Happy 2013.