A little Lee-way: Going for the gold

Have you ever wondered why people are always so determined to win? To win the gold? To win first place?

Everyone might have a different answer, but in a way, we all work up to the same goal: to win.

One person’s answer could be along the lines of, “I want to win because I work hard for what I do. I want nothing but the best, and I want to be recognized for that.”

Or, “It’s the competitive nature in me. I can’t stand losing.”

Some may like to win just for an ego boost and bragging rights.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with always wanting to win. I believe that the determination you have to win means that you’re committed to what you do and expect the best out of yourself.

The challenges you face, the harsh letdowns and naysayers are all of what make a person want to win even more, whether it’s in sports, academics or personal battles.

The winning mindset makes you a strong believer in yourself, but having a winner’s mindset does not necessarily mean you’re in it for the limelight, as some may assume.

Take, for example, linebacker Manti Te’o of the Notre Dame football team. He put so much heart and soul into the game of football and toward his family, school and the community.

Te’o trained his hardest, and that eventually paid off when he was selected as a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, having already won many awards for his outstanding playing.

Te’o faced many challenges, both on and off the practice field, but with a strong belief and determination he proved to be one of the best defensive players of this season. Sure, the Fighting Irish were washed out by the Crimson Tide this week, and, while a win would have been the icing on the cake, Te’o didn’t get to that BCS national championship game only for the attention. He did it for his love of the game and love of his family.

Take some of Te’o’s mindset into consideration, and strive to be the best you can even though the perfect outcome isn’t guaranteed. In every game, there is a winner and a loser. Or, is there? By my definition, winners are people who believe in themselves and aren’t afraid to shoot for high expectations.

As you face the new year, be the best person you can be. Find your motivation to strive for the gold, and if you fall short, always be able to say you gave it your all. That’s a winner to me. I mua.

View Comments (1)