A little Lee-way: Saying “I love you” (without spending too much)

A simple gesture of love can make your special someone’s Valentine’s Day unforgettable.

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, you may (or may not) be stressing about how you’re going to tell that special someone how much they mean to you by giving them a gift.

It doesn’t have to be a huge display of a dozen red roses, chocolate boxes with 20 different flavors or a teddy bear the size of a human being.

A small gesture can do the trick to make your loved one feel appreciated.

When I was younger, I would always make my parents handmade Valentine’s Day cards with pictures, markers, construction paper and glitter…lots of glitter!

Of course when I was small, I didn’t have money to spend, but I still wanted my parents to know that I loved them. Later, I found that those cards were the most special gifts I gave them.

My dad told me that he always keeps his cards I made for him in his work bag. My mom framed her cards and has them neatly placed by her office desk.

I think they were the best gifts because a lot of thought, heart and love are put into them rather than just picking something off the shelf and standing in line to pay for a card or some other Valentine’s Day gift.

So, here are some tricks to make your handmade Valentine’s Day card unforgettable:

1. Cut the bottom of a celery stalk and use it as a stamp. Believe it or not, this weird trick makes a beautiful rose when dipped into red ink.

2. Cut out pictures of you and your loved one to make a cute, collage card. A picture is worth a thousand words, right?

3. Trace the outline of your hand on colorful construction paper. Write short sayings like, “You’re hand-some” or “I’ll hold your heart forever.” It will be their favorite Valentine’s Day card, hands down! (Get it, get it?)

If you don’t have the money to buy the most extravagant Valentine’s Day gift, get a little crafty and impress your Valentine with a handmade card. Gifts that come from the heart will stay in their hearts for forever.