A little Lee-way: I can’t even keep up

Keeping up with these smart phone app fads is no easy task.

As Kumu Kapulani lets our class take a five minute break, almost everyone in my class whips out their iPhones and their eyes are literally glued to the devices (yes, I am guilty of that, too).

“What’s a vegetable that starts with the letter ‘s’?’ One student asks. “What do these four pictures have in common?” Another asks. “Oh my gosh, did you see the snapchat she sent me? So funny!”

I have never heard of some of these questions before, and to be quite honest, I get a little intrigued knowing that there are more apps to discover out in the app store.

“I’d like to join in on the guessing game conversation, but I don’t even know what games they’re talking about,” I think to myself.

Something that I have been noticing with the (at most) two-week craze on apps is that they go out of style in the blink of an eye. One week, ‘Hanging with Friends’ has everyone hooked; then, it’s ‘Temple Run’ for the next couple of weeks.

Sure, people still might use those apps occasionally, but have you noticed the serious fads in a lot of these apps? Sometimes the fads are so quick, I can’t even keep up with them.

I see this as a competition of who knows the latest and greatest apps. Whoever knows which apps are in are the “up-to-date and tech-savvy”  people who can bring up a casual conversation about a word they’re stumped on or a level they can’t get past with a fellow smartphone owner.

I think that some people may just jump on the bandwagon, so they can have something in common with many other KSM students.

Not knowing what this week’s app craze is can feel a little uncomfortable. It may even get to the point to where you feel like a total outcast because you’re the only one who isn’t trying to get past a level or sending pictures of yourself to someone every ten seconds during breaks in class.

Trust me, I’ve been there, and I’m pretty sure I’ll be there again in the near future because these smartphone app fads come along just way too fast!

So here’s a note to all of you people who find the new, awesome, life changing, amazing, thrilling, intriguing, and so on apps every week…slow it down a little for people like me who aren’t totally up-to-date. Slow it down, just a little bit.

And for those of you who can relate to me, right on. I’d be glad to know I’m not the only one who feels like a caveman.

Note to readers: Please pardon our dust! In an effort to keep up with the ever-changing technology, the infographic below is an experiment and is not a part of this column. It will be deleted shortly.